Samantha checked a Whoopies cookbook out at the library and was begging to try a few of the recipes, I told her to pick one out and we would make it for Father's Day, let me just tell you we are all addicted to Whoopies now. I am pretty sure the library book is over due and I need to write down all the recipes I want to try before the fines really add up.
I promised to share the recipe for these delights, and I really do try to keep my promises.
Chocolate Oreo Whoopies
For the Whoopies:
3 1/2 oz semi sweet baking chocolate
1/2 C unsalted butter, softened
1 C granulated sugar
1 tsp vanilaa extract
1 large egg
2 Cups all-purpose flour
1/2 C unsweetened cocoa
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
1 C milk
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Line 3-4 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
2. finely grate the chocolate or put in a food processor and process until very finely ground, set aside.
3. Put the butter, sugar, and vanilla extract in an electric mixer bowl, and beat together until light and fluffy. Beat in Egg.
4. Sift the flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt into the bowl and stir together. Add the chocolate and milk and stir until combined.
5. Using a level 1 1/2 - 2 inch ice-cream scoop or a heaping teaspoon, make 24 halves. To make each half, put the batter onto the prepared sheets leaving about 3 inches between each round to allow room to spread.
6. Bake in the oven for 10-12 minutes, until firm to the touch. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool.
7. Make Oreo Cream Filling:
Oreo Cream Filling:
4 Oreo Cookies, or one snack pack of the mini Oreos
4 tbsp butter, softened
1/2 C regular cream cheese
3 1/2 C confectioners'sugar
Put the cookies in a strong plastic bag and, holding the open end together, crush with a rolling pin to form fine crumbs.
Combine the butter and cream cheese and beat together until fluffy.
Sift the confectioners' sugar and add to the butter and cream cheese mixture, beat together until smooth but still firm.
Fold in the cookie crumbs.
8. When the whoopies are cold, match each half with its closest partner in size. Spreading with a knife or a pastry bag fitted with a large tip, cover the flat side of one whoopie half of each pair generously with the filling, then place the matching partner on top.